Sunday, November 28, 2010

On 'Tinitignan, 'Di Nakikita'

21st and 25th of September, 2010

For MSMEDIA class, we watched Sir Doy’s documentary entitled “Tinitignan, ‘Di Nakikita”. Initially it seemed like another documentary about the impoverished and rather helpless nature of the Philippine society. It is. But what moved me was the fact that the documentary had commentaries on the flaws of the media. I think the title does not only apply to its viewers, but to those who should be actually taking responsibility, but are not (the government, the ruling class, the media).

I liked how the narrator, an adolescent girl who is one of the subjects, was able to properly relay to the viewers the comparison of how life is portrayed in different print media. I think it serves some sort of a wake-up call especially to students like me who will eventually take over the industry in a few years’ time.

This goes back to what we discussed after we viewed the documentary. There was a reading that was shown to us regarding Pope Benedict XVI’s message to the media, and a particular idea in that message hit me. It was the fact that we media communicators do not represent reality, we determine it as well. And I 100% believe that statement.


No comments:

Post a Comment